Wednesday, November 10, 2010

thoughts

why do some people just not communicate when something is bothering them?

the particular situation i'm thinking of: a friend just emailed me saying that her relationship with our mutual friend hasn't been the same in the past month. He (mutual friend) has seemed unhappy/annoyed with her personality/has changed. Maybe it's just that by spending time away from each other and hanging out with other people, you start to pick up those new friends' mannerisms/humor and you change a bit. Or maybe you attempt to fit in with this new group by changing yourself in small ways which don't mesh with old friends anymore. Or you just feel like you're better than the other person/don't need him or her in your life as much as you did before. I don't know. I just think that if something is wrong or has changed, it should be talked about. Or if something annoys you, you should bring it up regardless of whether that may make things a bit awkward. Because I think communicating despite potential awkwardness and caring enough about saving the relationship/friendship to address the source of conflict/change is so important. I suppose by not doing this, you're also communicating a message: that you don't prioritize the relationship enough to attempt to make things better.

A question posed to me (in which i know my hypothetical answer but am still unclear on what I'd realistically do): If you were falling out of love with your partner, would you tell the person to try to work it out? Or would you wait until you knew for sure you didn't love this person anymore and then cut it off?

In theory/ideally, I'd bring it up with the person. But realistically, I think I wouldn't want to worry my partner and be sure that I wasn't just going through a phase. And THEN maybe talk about it and try to work things out? But would I even want to at that point because I'd be sure that I didn't love this person anymore?

Man! People are so complex and have different expectations/ways of communicating...I'm just left silenced and confused and neck-deep in my introspection of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment