
The other day, H and I wanted to drink some lemonade with our wine for din (pesto/cheese/chicken/spinach/tomato/lettuce on a baguette...nom!). I don't really drink a lot of lemonade in the states so I haven't realized until now that lemonade basically doesn't exist in this country. I think it's interesting that something can be so commonplace in one country and virtually non-existent in another (not even in import/international food stores!...this is also true for really good cheeses and whole grain bread). Perhaps this is a sign that I should be making my own...
On that note, it is also umeshu making season right now. Umeshu is SO delicious (a japanese liquer made from unripe/green ume [ie japanese plum], sugar, and shochu). The majority of families here have their own umeshu recipes and let their homemade alcohol steep and turn into fantasticalness in the dark recesses of their cupboards. Then by Christmas-time, it's ready to be busted out for holiday merriment and debauchery. mmm. Will keep you posted on this experiment. :)

You can get some decent cheeses out at Costco @Hisayama. Or you could, haven't been there in a while. Also from the Foreign Buyer's Club - http://www.fbcusa.com/cs/index.php
ReplyDeleteAnd if you want an easy way to make bread, since you're getting my rice cooker in a couple days, there's apparently an easy way to do that... never done it myself, but read about it/watched the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MWjHqA0lDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJlOwABKepk
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Rice-Cooker-Bread
nice! yeah i've definitely baked bread (not in the rice cooker though-- just regular micro-oven). And yes, a costco adventure is definitely needed. mmmm cheese! and delicious kalbi/sashimi samples-- japan costcos are the best!
ReplyDeleterandom on lemonade: hugh might have told you this, but in britain, lemonade is clear. and fizzy. like sprite. i find this clearly nonsensical and am convinced that lemonade (with real lemons and water and sugar) is purely an american invention. i asked what lemonade (NOT sprite) would be called in glasgow, and people gave me confused looks. -_-
ReplyDelete